State of Shock

A weekend away with the girls was on the cards and I was counting down the minutes. Two and a half full days of sitting by the fire, eating glorious food, sipping on some bubbles and enjoying the friendly and world problems solving banter that can only come from some fully paid up members of the sisterhood.

And did I mention, we were off the grid? There could be no more glorious conditions for supreme relaxation. Or so I thought.

The wind was angry over the weekend. Big gusts of wind whipped everything up. I was one of the first to arrive. I immediately changed into my knee-high ugg boots, some leggings, a long-sleeved t-shirt and my floor length merino wool cardi, which I believe is the traditional garb of a girls weekend away. Some may even add a scarf, which of course I did. I made a cup of tea, pulled out my book and waiting for the rest of the posse to arrive.

The first gal arrive and I jumped up to greet her with a hug. As I reached out, I felt a small jolt of static electricity shock the both of us. WHAT THE FUCK? We both giggled a bit before I popped the kettle on again. I walked over to the fridge to get the milk and as I reached out to the fridge, the same thing happened.

I was fully charged!

This started to make me feel un-relaxed as I was not sure where or when I would get my next zapping. One by one the gals arrived and I would have to say “I am sorry, I just need to make sure that I do not electrocute you…” and I would touch a whole heap of surfaces before gingerly reaching out for a hug hello. Once everyone had arrived, we started workshopping as to why I was the way I was. Which was to be feared. One of the smart ladies suggested it was my cardigan, so I peeled it off and yes, the sparks flew from it. HUZZAH! I might be a little chilly but I will no longer be a danger to myself and others.

More sitting by the fire, more cups of teas and chatter before someone suggested we have a champers. I leapt up at the very notion and grabbed the handle to the drawer which housed the glasses.

ZAP.

My weekend was not turning out to be as relaxing as I had hoped. We continued to discuss why this was happening to me and only me. And here is what we came up with.

In the winter, static electricity is worse due to the lack of humidity in the air which leaves one susceptible to a charge imbalance. Turns out that (we suspect) my hair was building up charge and was not being helped by the fact that my footwear of choice led me to shuffle a lot. The result of these two things make me electrocute myself and others when I touched them. Wind, no humidity and shuffling. The perfect electrical storm.

From then on I lifted my feet when I walked around and wet my hair every few hours. This resulted in a more relaxing time for the remainder of the weekend. I hope you have learnt something from my pain.

Has this ever happened to you?